The term arthritis describes over 200 diseases related to our joints and connective tissues.
Commonly diagnosed types include osteoarthritis, which occurs in the cartilage, and rheumatoid arthritis, which directly affects joints.
While healthcare professionals wait for official approval from the FDA, many people with arthritic conditions are already using CBD creams to manage pain, swelling, and other symptoms.
So how good is CBD cream for arthritis, and how should you use it?
Is CBD cream good for arthritis?
Arthritic conditions vary widely, and no individual case of arthritis is the same. As a result, CBD cream isn’t going to work for every person or every type of arthritis.
For those with inflammation-based conditions, however, there’s growing evidence that CBD can soothe discomfort, as well as help to reduce further inflammation.
- When symptoms of arthritis are caused by inflammation, CBD may reduce pain and swelling by affecting receptors in joints and surrounding tissues.
- When rheumatoid arthritis is caused by immune system dysfunction, CBD may support the body in restoring homeostasis.
What do the experts say about CBD cream and arthritis?
The entire cannabis industry is still waiting for full FDA approval before CBD products can be widely studied and prescribed. However, this hasn’t stopped many people from using CBD creams and oils.
As a result, experts have weighed in with their thoughts. In 2019, the Arthritis Foundation released its guidance for those using CBD to combat arthritis. According to them:
- CBD can help with pain, insomnia, anxiety, and other arthritis-related symptoms
- No major safety issues are connected with CBD when taken in moderate doses, though potential drug interactions are known
- CBD is not a replacement for disease-modifying drugs or other preventative treatments
- CBD should be batch-tested for purity and potency by an independent lab
While large human trials have yet to occur, several small studies show an association between CBD use and a reduction of arthritis symptoms.
A study using CBD cream on rats with arthritis found pain-related behaviors decreased over a 4-day dosage period.
Writing in the journal Pain, researchers found that oral CBD can prevent pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis.
In another Arthritis Foundation survey, 94% of respondents who use CBD said that they supplement in order to reduce pain. The survey also found that:
- 71% of respondents found that CBD helped them to sleep
- 67% of respondents reported that CBD aided physical function.
How do I use CBD cream for arthritis?
The benefit of choosing CBD topicals to treat arthritis over other types of cannabis products is that they can be applied locally.
This means that CBD cream interacts directly with the skin and tissue surrounding an affected joint.
Like other cannabis compounds, CBD reduces symptoms by affecting the endocannabinoid system. This is a part of the body that helps to regulate inflammation, stress, and pain via receptors found across organs and tissues.
How long does it take for CBD oil to work for joint pain?
- CBD will usually take effect within 15-45 minutes, and last for between 3-4 hours
- Those new to CBD should begin with a low dosage. Once it’s clear that CBD is tolerated well, the dosage can be increased
- Those working with healthcare professionals to manage their arthritis should discuss CBD usage and collaborate on a dosage schedule.
CBD cream for back pain
When it comes to using CBD creams, try to apply the product exactly over the troublesome area. Many users recommend a massaging motion to help CBD absorb into inflamed tissue and promote blood flow.
Some topical products may also include other stimulating ingredients such as menthol (mint) or capsaicin (a component of chili) to help blood circulate in that area of the body.
CBD cream for ankle arthritis
Those who struggle with joint issues in their feet and ankles often have daily treatment routines to help manage pain. Adding a foot massage using a CBD cream or lotion can be an effective way to gain relief.
The best CBD creams for arthritis pain…
- Are made from specially-bred hemp plants
- Are tested for potency and purity by a third-party lab
- Are infused into high-quality oils and emollients to help protect skin